Cialfo allows schools to send supporting application documents via Parchment and Common App. For schools that do not accept documents through these two Cialfo partners, we identify those schools as Mail. It means that documents have to be sent directly to the college or university either by mail, email, or some other platform.
BEFORE sending documents, we strongly recommend you go through our presubmission checklist.
Sending for Common App
Before documents can be sent for a student through Cialfo, the student must have linked their Common App with Cialfo (Read more about that process here) and the colleges must appear in the students cDocs - Submission sidebar.
Colleges are added to the student's cDocs submission sidebar in two ways.
- Common App syncing has been turned on in Account - Configure - cDocs Preferences. This means that if a school has enabled this configuration, the colleges and universities in a student's Common App will sync and be added here.
- If Common App syncing has not been turned on, colleges must be added to the student's Applying List.
Re-sync with CA - Once a college is added to the student's Common App or Applications list (or the student edits the round or deadline in Common App), it could take up to 4 hours for Cialfo and Common App to sync and update that information. However, the counselor has the ability to manually sync by clicking the 'Re-sync with CA' button in the student's cDocs submission sidebar instead of having to wait for 4 hours.
Now document sending for Common App is ready!
- Go to cDocs
- Find and click on the student and a sidebar will appear
- Click on the Submissions tab at the top
- Notice the colleges are sorted by Common App, Parchment and Mail.
- For the first college, Common App sending is TWO steps. Step 1 is sending Common App Shared Documents. Step 2 is sending Teacher Recommendations. The system is set up this way due to Common App's "One-and-Done" policy.
Sending Common App Shared Documents
- Scroll to the bottom of the sidebar to the Common App Shared Documents section.
- You should see the Recommender (counselor) and the Student's Common App account that has been linked with Cialfo.
- There are two sections to be selected and then sent.
- First, Counselor Recommendation. This represents the Common App Counselor Recommendation Form. There should also be a Letter of Recommendation in this grey box. Click on the circle next to Letter of Recommendation-Counselor.
- Second, School Report. The School Report includes the Common App School Report created by the counselor, and the School Profile. This section will require you to select which documents should be attached to the School Report. The documents that can be sent along with the School Report are: Initial Transcript, Transcript, Transfer Transcript and Other.
- WORD OF CAUTION: Double check all of these documents before sending. Once they are sent, you cannot make any changes or send any additional documents. These documents will be shared with ALL colleges and universities to which a student submits a Common App.
- Once you have verified and selected the documents you want sent and are sure they are correct, press send next for the Counselor Recommendation and press send for the School Report.
- This is the only time you will send Common App Shared Documents for this student. You will not be able to change them after they are sent.
- Notice that once sent, the status will change to green Sent and the timestamp will be updated.
Sending Common App Teacher Documents
- In the same submission sidebar, find the section for Common App Applications and you'll see a list of all of the student's colleges.
- Select the college you want to submit teacher recommendations for.
- The top section of that sidebar contains information pulled directly from the student's Common App: Round and Deadline. If these are missing, it is because the student did not indicate it on their Common App.
- Recommenders - Cialfo has included the recommendation requirements for each college. This information comes directly from Common App. If a college states: 2 Required - 4 Maximum, this means that 2 teacher recommendations minimum must be sent and that a maximum of 4 can be sent.
- Once teachers have both uploaded their letters in PDF format and completed the Common App Teacher Evaluation form, you are ready to send.
- Verify how many letters you want to send.
- For each recommender, select the blue button next to Letter of Recommendation and then press send.
- Note that it may take a while to send depending on the volume of applications attempting to be sent to Common App at that time. Once the documents have been sent, the status will change to Sent and the timestamp will be updated.
Completing the Early Decision Agreement
- If the student has indicated that they plan to apply Early Decision on their Common App, an Early Decision Agreement will appear at the bottom of the submission sidebar screen below the teacher recommendations for this particular college or university.
- The counselor should read, click affirm, type their name/signature, and then submit their affirmation.
After Sending - Verifying Documents Are Sent
After you have sent documents, you will notice that the status will change. Notice there will be a timestamp of when the documents were sent.
Common App Shared Documents Sent (only sent once)
Teacher Recommendations Sent (sent for each college)