As we begin getting ready to send documents via cDocs, counselors need to complete a few things.
1. Adding new teachers/counselors (Staff) on Cialfo
Any new teachers that have recently joined the school need to be added to Cialfo for students to request letters of recommendation. The staff members would then able to upload the recommendations from their accounts.
You can do this in 2 ways:
- Upload staff members by bulk: Click here to learn more.
- Add staff individually via Team. Click here to learn more.
If you have bulk uploaded your staff, please trigger the registration emails from the Team section.
2. Launch Cialfo to the newly added teachers and/or
We have resources to launch Cialfo to teachers that contain a PPT introducing Cialfo and explain how to complete the recommendation process on Cialfo. Click here to learn more. Alternatively, you can forward this self-help article to your teachers.
3. Students requesting letters of recommendation from teachers
Based on your school's preference, students can request a letter of recommendation from their teachers via Cialfo or counselors can add the recommenders on behalf of the students. Click here to learn how students can request for recommendations.
Please note that students should not request recommendations directly via Common App.
4. Get your students to link their Common App accounts with Cialfo
In order for documents to be sent for a student from Cialfo to colleges and universities that accept the Common App, a student’s Cialfo account must be linked to their Common App account. Click here to learn more.
5. Review the different configuration settings for your school
There are three important sections for your school to review before beginning the recommendation and document preparation process.
- Student Connectivity - This set of configurations allows a school to decide what students can edit within their own profile. Click here to learn more.
- School Search Permissions - This set of configurations is for both students and guardians. It will determine if a guardian and/or student can add or remove colleges and universities from the student’s different lists. Click here to learn more.
- cDoc Preferences - This set of configurations helps guide how a school manages recommendations and the document preparation within Cialfo. Click here to learn more.
6. Upload School Profile & Complete School Information
Before you begin the sending process, ensure that Common App sending and Parchment sending have been enabled.
For sending out Common App documents, you need to upload the school profile and complete the school information. Completing your School Information ensures that you provide the needed information to Common App accepting institutions as well as helps auto-populate some fields found in other Common App forms. This School Information must be saved and completed for the auto-population to work.
Note: The school profile is not a mandatory document from CA. Cialfo has decided to make it mandatory for consistency purposes. This means that schools that do not upload a School profile will be unable to send documents. If the school does not have a School profile - they have the choice to 1. Create one (see example below) 2. Take a screenshot of their website and upload it as a PDF. 3. Upload a blank PDF.
7.Ensure Sending is enabled for all your students.
For your current graduating batch it should show as enabled, unless the student has linked their Common App account in the previous application cycle and/or a Common App form was prepared for that student in the previous application cycle. To check the sending status for your students, Go to cDocs > Submissions > Students. The sending status will be the last column on this page. If the Sending status shows as 'Restricted', click here to learn how to troubleshoot this issue.
8. Watch Cialfo's cDocs webinars
Cialfo conducted weekly webinars through August. If you haven't attended those webinars, you can view the recordings here.