Researching for schools within Cialfo is done in the School-Research page.
To search for a school, you will typically rely on these few functions:
- Search by name
- Region toggle
- Search (Filter)
- School profile and module information
To search by name of a school, click into the search bar and type a school name.
To toggle between regions, click on the various regions to switch them on or off. If you’re unable to find a college after using a region-specific filter such as the SAT/ACT, IB requirement (UK) filter, the region toggle for the school may have been turned off.
There are a variety of Search (Filter) for schools. The most common ones are:
(i) Avg SAT
(ii) Avg ACT
(iii) Courses & Majors
(iv) IB Requirement (UK)
(v) Likelihood & College Fit Calculator
(1) & (2), the Avg SAT and Avg ACT filter (only works for US schools) allows you to search for schools that accepted students of average SAT/ACT score within your indicated search parameter. You can either indicate a minimum score to find schools that accepts students on average above a certain score, and/or indicate a maximum score to find schools that accepts students on average below a certain score.
(3) the Courses & Majors filter allows you to search for colleges that features the Courses & Majors of your interest. After selecting the filter, type into the search box for the Courses & Majors of your interest. You can either click on the search term you’ve typed to search for all Courses & Majors that matches the search term, or select one or more of the options found.
(4) the IB Requirement (UK) filter (only works for UK schools) allows you to search for schools that have IB Requirements within your indicated search parameter. You can either indicate a minimum score to find schools that accepts students above a certain score, and/or indicate a max score to find schools that accepts students below a certain score.
(5) Cialfo offers two opportunities for students and counselors researching schools to state the Likelihood of a possible acceptance into a university. One way is a Cialfo generated algorithm called the College Fit Calculator and other is Counselor Recommendation of Likelihood.
The College Fit Calculator (CFC) is an in-built algorithm that categorizes top US colleges based off a number of popular majors into Reach, Target, Likely categories. The algorithm takes into account a combination of factors, which includes School grades, SAT/ACT test scores, and the student’s Extra Curricular Activities profile. The CFC estimate function serves to only assist the students in sorting out the school list and look for their best-fit colleges. The function activates after selecting a major (Closest to what you are looking for) and clicking on the Estimate button. You may find the CFC under Schools > Preferences.
The two likelihoods can be compared side by side by enabling the Likelihood option under the Columns preferences. The likelihood generated by the algorithm will be listed with Cialfo and the likelihood recommended by counselor will be listed with Counselor.
In addition, Likelihood can be determine in approximately 250 schools in the US and UK and mainly reserved for top ranked schools.
If you do not see the Likelihood estimate, it may have been switched off by your counselor.