Researching for schools within Cialfo is done in the School-Research page.
To search for a school, you will typically rely on these few functions:
- Search by name
- Region toggle
- Search (Filter)
- RTL estimate (Reach, Target, Likely)
- School profile and module information
To search by name of a school, click into the search bar and type a school name.
To toggle between regions, click on the various regions to switch them on or off. If you’re unable to find a college after using a region-specific filter such as the SAT/ACT, IB requirement (UK) filter, the region toggle for the school may have been turned off.
There are a variety of Search (Filter) for schools. The most common ones are:
- Avg SAT
- Avg ACT
- Courses & Majors
- IB Requirement (UK)
(1) & (2), the Avg SAT and Avg ACT filter (only works for US schools) allows you to search for schools that accepted students of average SAT/ACT score within your indicated search parameter. You can either indicate a minimum score to find schools that accepts students on average above a certain score, and/or indicate a maximum score to find schools that accepts students on average below a certain score.
(3) the Courses & Majors filter allows you to search for colleges that features the Courses & Majors of your interest. After selecting the filter, type into the search box for the Courses & Majors of your interest. You can either click on the search term you’ve typed to search for all Courses & Majors that matches the search term, or select one or more of the options found.
(4) the IB Requirement (UK) filter (only works for UK schools) allows you to search for schools that have IB Requirements within your indicated search parameter. You can either indicate a minimum score to find schools that accepts students above a certain score, and/or indicate a max score to find schools that accepts students below a certain score.
The RTL estimate is an in-built algorithm that categorizes the 300 most popular schools in the US into Reach, Target, Likely categories. The algorithm takes into account a combination of factors, which includes School grades, SAT/ACT test scores, and the student’s ECA profile. The RTL estimate function serves to only assist the students in sorting out the school list and look for their best-fit colleges. The function activates after selecting a major (Closest to what you are looking for) and clicking on the Estimate button. If you do not see the RTL estimate, it may have been switched off by your counselor.
The School profile and module information of each school can be accessed by clicking on the school name pr on the School Research landing page. You may toggle with the module information available to compare the information available across the various schools.
This is what the Modules toggle button looks like:
#Search for a school #Search filters to find a best-fit college #RTL estimate #Academic/SAT/ACT profile #Course and Major